Thursday, March 15, 2007

What's normal anyway?

Since when is it normal to...

  • go outside on the roof to put laundry in a shorty washing machine

  • scrub the black off my feet every night before I go to bed

  • wear a doctor's mask around town

  • ride to and from work in the back of a little red truck

  • put a pad lock on our front door when we leave the house

  • not drink the tap water

  • use women's public restrooms with men dressed like women

  • get eaten up by mosquitoes while watching a movie at the theater

  • have geckos (lizards) running around on the walls of our house (we don't kill 'em because they eat mosquitoes!)

  • sit around and watch Thai TV every night and swat bugs with an electric tennis racket looking thing that zaps 'em

  • be woken up every morning by roosters, geckos, dogs barking, and a man on a bullhorn riding in a truck making some announcement about something political.

These are all things that are slowly becoming normal to me. Please don't think I'm complaining about any of these things...they're all things that I have laughed at in the past few days because I never could've guessed life could be so interesting! All these things will forever remind me of this really cool place! Welcome to Chiang Mai!!

**Please note in the image above: the 2 guys chillin' on top of all those boxes in the back of a truck, all the outta control power lines, and of course, a larger than life painting of the king overlooking traffic. What's normal anyway?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wheres a pic of the fruity drinks?

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, sweet house too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

You don't know who I am. Heck, I have never seen your sister, Missy but we became friends on the endo support board. I just love her and I am so glad she linked your blog to her site. I am really enjoying reading about your adventures. I just wanted to make a comment or two about geckos, if I may. I lived on Guam for 4 1/2 years and I love geckos and the "click, click, click" calls. If you get brave enough to catch one, watch out. Their tails fall off very easily. It's a natural defense. And if you turn one over and stroke their belly, you can "paralyze" them for a couple of short period of time. Used to freak out my Mom. OH, and last thing, sometimes they can just die and fall on you. Beware!

Anyway, I will continue to read and pray for you and your "peeps"

Crystal in Kentucky

Anonymous said...

geeky-weeky--"What's normal anyway" is what i've been askin' all your life. so sounds like you've met your match. have fun-fun-fun! loveya-m0m

Anonymous said...

HEY WEED. THAT PLACE LOOKS LIKE GATE CITY. LOTS OF RED NECKS. HAHAHA!!!! LOVE YOU, DAD.....

Wendy said...

Hi Crystal, thanks for the comment! Also, thanks for checking out my blog. Yep, these geckos are so weird! And you're right, they totally make a clicking sound. I've been thinking about how to describe their "call" and that's very accurate. I've heard about their tails falling off, I just hope i don't find any laying around the house! :) Thanks again for the post! Come back and keep up with all this craziness here!

Laney said...

wendy!!

i've been catching up on the blogs. i'm impressed with u. just wanted to say that i've never actually thought of scrubbing the black stuff off my feet..i just let my sheets do that..opps!!! i love you girl!!!

 
Site Meter