Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Nature's Candy

First off, I'd like to apologize for leaving you hanging...I know you've been sitting around, holding your breath, waiting for me to detail another outrageously exciting adventure! But the truth is, I've been so busy that I haven't had time to catch my breath for the past couple of weeks. So, with that said...I'll proceed with today's post...


Ah yes...Nature's candy. Did your Momma ever try to entice you to eat your fruits and veggies (usually the ones that you don't want to eat) by describing them as nature's candy? Well, mine did, and in fact, she still does. I'm not so sure that I ever had a problem eating much of anything with the exception of raw tomatoes, cucumbers, kiwis, strawberries, and any other fruit with tiny seeds. I refused to believe that these nasty things could ever be anything remotely described as candy. I wasn't buying it! But, this nature's candy bit worked on my little baby bro, Quinn! Yep, he fell for it and he ate beets! Ha! She got him! Now, that's something else I won't touch with a 10 foot pole!


Anyways...today at lunch, some friends and I were having some laughs over a twig of Lychees. Please refer to this photo for a visual reference for what a twig of Lychees actually is. Well, I insisted that the Lychees that I've had, have had a hint of onion taste to them...so I didn't want to have another disappointing experience with them. Thanks, but no thanks! Actually, I have this experience with a few of the different fruits I've eaten here. There's a vague whisper of an onion in some of fruit here, I promise! Well, that's what I thought until today. After refusing to eat another piece of fruit from Thailand, I began to hear my Momma's voice in my head. "Try that thang...it's nature's candy. Go on!" With the fear that she would come out of that thought bubble in my head and put that Lychee right in my mouth for me, I thought I'd better give it ONE more shot. If indeed I DO find that it IS a piece of nature's candy, I'll be blown away! I peeled that little bumpy outter shell that protects the little pearl of fleshy fruit inside. I starred at it, threatening it under my breath--"You'd better not have the faintest hint of onion. You'd better be nature's candy!" With confidence that I could prove my Momma wrong (again) I threw back my head and popped that Lychee right into my steel trap of a mouth. I took a moment to take a deep breath to detect an onion....but I DIDN'T! It was deliciously sweet and enjoyable! I did it! I found a piece of nature's candy!!!! And I LOVE it! I LOVE NATURE'S CANDY!

8 comments:

JasonC said...

Honestly, a lot of the Thai fruit disappointed me too. I wasn't much of a lychee fan. I like rambutan's taste better, but the thin skin around the seed always stuck to the fruit and I hating eating husk. But mangosteen is the bomb! Make sure someone gets you some mangosteen when it is in season. Other than mangosteen, the best fruits are mango (when in season and sweet) and some of the pineapples and bananas, but they have that bland, crunchy pineapple too and its crappy. Some of the bananas aren't that good either. The watermelon can be good- especially in shakes. In fact, the best way to eat most of the fruit there is in shakes and smoothies. Trinidad definitely has better fruit.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Weed!

I just love your blog entries! It's almost as good as being there with you in the flesh! I can hear you saying everything you write! "Now, go on! Eat that onion-tasting fruit"! You crack me up! Yes, the weirdness of Asian fruit! If you really want weird.....try some of that Jack fruit.......hooooo....yuukkkyyyy!
Eat my share of mango, watermelon, and pineapple, "ya hea"??

Anonymous said...

HEY WEED, WHY DID YOU NEVER TRY A CACKLEBERRY FRUIT WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP? OH THAT'S AN EGG ISN'T IT? WELL I GUESS THAT'S WHY. LOVE YOU, DAD!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Is durian next? Yum ... that vanilla pudding taste followed by a whoosh of garlic. It's very good! (But, I can't smell so that might be why I like it.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy ... I continue to enjoy your clever notes on your blog. Put them all together and you would have a great book!!! So glad you are having these wonderful experiences. We are so proud of you amd remember you often in our prayers. Have a GREAT week .. Love ... Mom Mom

Katie and Justin said...

Hey Weed!

Just make sure those berries aren't poisonous.....

Hey thanks for dropping a few lines at our blog!! I am excited to get some info from your mom....especially a t-shirt that says "Eat at Mom's" How great is that??

Love you and stay safe!
kt

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! You are too funny! I hope you and Court continue to have a blast. I'll email soon :)
Karen

Anonymous said...

Hey, Wendy,
I have to agree with jasonc; the rambutan is good, but the mangosteen is the bomb! The closest thing we have to it here is the Mangosteen Madness at Smoothie King. Eat some for us.
Jan and Bruce

 
Site Meter