Monday, October 22, 2007

Starbucks Saturday

The past few months at work have been crazy busy! Court and I have worked most every evening and every weekend! So, this past Saturday was a necessary time to chill! We crammed my backpack full of some of our fave mags that we've gotten in packages from friends in the States. I also brought along a book that I recently started. First off, I'll tell ya that I'm super picky about what books I read. So, upon the recommendation of a friend that I trust to select a book for me, I'm reading "The Cat Who Went Underground". So far, so good. I'm surprised that I'm actually diggin' it. I was hesitant to start it. I'm allergic to cats and don't really care that much about anything that has to do with them. (Sorry, Miss, Brad, 'Lil Buddy, and Pierre.) BUT, I am enjoying how the author, Lilian Jackson Braun, wraps her impressive and crafty vocabulary around this kinda ordinary story to deliver a tale teeming with small town quirks and a big fat dose of whodunnit. You should pick it up if you haven't. It came out in 1989, I think....so you've had plenty of time.


Anyways...we placed our orders. Court: 1 grande ice caramel macchiato and an apple walnut muffin. Me: 1 large and in charge americano (I brought my own Splenda). We walked up to the 3rd story to sit outside and max and relax.



We made ourselves at home on the balcony that overlooks Thapae Gate. Unfortunately at this moment, the view and coolness of this stitch of town is being interrupted by construction everywhere! In fact, as we sat on the 3rd story, iPods blasting, and neck deep into Southern Living, I saw a very frightening thing happen. We were about eye-level with some construction guys swinging from beam to beam trying to put a building together or something. No hard hats, no steel-toed boots, no protective eyewear, no harnesses or ropes or anything! Just natural talent. Anyways... 1 dude tossed a hand saw to another dude, he caught it and began to hack away at a metal pole. His first whack knocked the BLADE out of the saw and I held my breath as it dropped and bounced off of the sidewalk below. Now, I had just been watching peeps walk in and out of that area for about an hour and then this happens!!!!! I couldn't believe it. He didn't seem phased at all. Oh well, he shrugged and caught another saw that his co-laborer tossed him. The other 2 dudes up on the beams who seemed to be just watching him didn't really seem to think a thing about it either.

A few minutes later, we gathered our ripped out pages of our Runner's World and Southern Living, collected all of our things (we kinda moved in for a few hours) and headed home. As we walked under the spot where the blade had speared the concrete, we ran in case it started raining saw blades, hammers, and nails. I think it's ok that they didn't have hard hats, boots, and protective eyewear. The innocent bystanders below are the ones that need it more!!!

It was so nice to have that time just to chill and hang out. I love hanging out and not even needing to talk! Good coffee, good reading, good times!!!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I can testify that the saw blade slippage is 100% true!! I saw the little guy wander down the 5 story building and come outside to pick it up off the sidewalk! We're going hard hat shopping tomorrow. Do you think they have different colors?

Anonymous said...

YEA GIRLS THE HARD HATS COME IN SEVERAL COLORS. THEY WOULD BE GREAT WHEN YOU WALK UNDER THE PALMS AND THE COCONUTS ARE FALLING. LOVE YOU DAD....

Missy and Brad said...

Sounds like another typical Thai day! Sorry I've been SLOW about posting on the blog. I've been reading and I'm grateful for the more frequent updates! I'm glad you got a chance to chill a bit. Can't believe you like the cat book!
Love ye!
Mav

Missy and Brad said...

Oops...I meant slow about commenting on the blog...not posting. I'm an idiot...

Anonymous said...

What a hoot! Mercy! That's Asia for you. Protect those pretty little heads of yours! I love the pics, and can totally tell where you are! Been there, done that! I love it! Ya'll look so pretty!~ Love you lots, Sandy

 
Site Meter