Thursday, September 6, 2007

Soup Beans 'n Cornbread

Ever since leaving the motherland of northeast Tennessee, my tummy has growled for soup beans and cornbread. This is one of my all-time fave meals! Mammy (my grandmother) makes the BEST soup beans in the entire world! She knows how to do 'em right! Anyways...a few months ago, we received a fun package from a friend, aka Richmond Memaw. It was stuffed with a bag of dried beans, a packet of cornbread mix, 2 PayDay candy bars and oh yeah...a package of smoked ham! When was the last time YOU got ham in the mail!?!?!? My mouth watered thinking about the spread this was gonna make! I quickly set the menu in my head: soup beans, cut up onions to sprinkle on top, slaw, cornbread, fried taters, and a full bottle of ketchup! Mercy! I'm tellin' you...I didn't know how quick I could get to the market to find everything I needed. The beans soaked overnight, the crockpot got fired up, and they slowly but surely turned into a mouthwatering taste of home! The cornbread in the oven filled the house with the smell of hot country goodness. And the fried taters....well, they'd have made your eyes roll back in your head!!!! I love cooking and I love eating. But there's nothing like cooking, eating, and thinking of everyone back home. Hope y'all are doing great!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's see... last time I got ham in the mail... Does BirmingHAM count?!?

Looks dee-lish! Everybody here refers me to the only cajun restaurant in CA when I ask them where I should go. Boo! I guess I will have to do like you and make my own.

Anonymous said...

IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ALL ARE EATING PRETTY GOOD. I WOULD LIKE TO JUST COME OVER FOR SUPPER SOMETIME. IT'S HARD TO BEAT SOUP BEANS AND TATERS. OH AND GOOD CORNBREAD. LOVE YOU, DAD.....

Anonymous said...

hey wendy. i'm feeling lazy so spent some time youtubing some folks. check out this clip of steve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHE1dM4hYCw&mode=related&search=
i recognize guy clark and rodney crowell, but not the other folks. you can tell, they knew that this "kid is good"... you can hear guy saying "did you hear the verses?" hope you can watch this. i'm going crazy over it!

Anonymous said...

Mercy!!!!!!!!! You got my mouth watering, not to mention I just busted out laughing here at my desk, about the "eyes rolling back in your head" comment! You got a way with words girl! I can totally picture ya'll. Thanks for all the updates. It always makes my week!!! Love you! Momma Sandy

Anonymous said...

MMMMM-MMMMMMMMMM good !'sho muf make one hungry.Know you hadn't eaten better since leaving NE TN !Pictures are really great, glad you like to cook. Wish Court could have taken a picture of those eyes 'rolling back in your head.' Now that would be a Kodak moment. Keep the goodies coming. Love ya'. MS Grandma

Missy and Brad said...

YUM!! Send some of that my way! I hope you're sharing this good eatin' with Moo!
Mav

Anonymous said...

i can see those 'rolling eyes'--------you know how paula deen's eyes roll when she eats something deeeeeelicous?! maybe you can start your own cooking show called "food to make your eyes roll (or cross)-----hahaha. later, tater loveya-----m0m

Anonymous said...

P.S. hey------on second thought after i re-looked at the bean picture, forget the beans i want that cheesecake in the background----yummmmm-yum.----m0m

 
Site Meter