Saturday, September 1, 2007

Hookt on Fonix...

After almost 5 months of Thai language lessons, we're getting to the reading and writing! So far, we have learned everything phonetically. But now, it's time to step it up and learn the Thai alphabet! It's crazy but tons of fun!! I really, really am diggin' it! It's really clicking in my head being able to visualize the words that I've been learning! First, we started out by memorizing the alphabet--learning the names of each consonant and vowel, learning how to write each of them, and then learning how to recognize them when we see them. There's also 5 tones and 3 classes of consonants to figure out too! It was madly confusing at first, but oddly enough, it's starting to make sense! I love it!!!! I'm so grateful for our uber patient teacher, Panida. She's awesome! She does an awesome job teaching us and making it fun ALL the time! I can't wait to start being able to read quicker. Right now, it takes a few seconds of inspecting each consonant and vowel and tone, then figuring out which class it's in (low, middle, or high) and then sounding it out. In my lesson on Friday, we pretty much threw a party for every word that we could sound out! Hey, it's the simple things, ok?!


7 comments:

Missy and Brad said...

Glad to hear about your progress! I'd enjoy language lessons too if I had a big bowl of food and candy waiting on me (at least, I assume that's what's on the table in the photo). Keep up the good work! As prez of Moo's Fan Club, I have to ask if you're teaching Moo to understand Thai. She'll never make it in the world without knowing a little.
oxox
Mav

Anonymous said...

hey----don't forget your english as in 'threw' a party not 'through'. yeah that's the first thing i noticed too was the food or was it recess? you'll do great as long as you don't have to start multiplying/dividing and fractioning the vowels-hahaha.love as always--m0m

Wendy said...

Thx Momma! The correction has been made. I can always count on your editorial eye!

Anonymous said...

Sawat Dee Kaaa!!! Sabai dee may kha? So proud of you two! Cool! I never had the priviledge of doing the reading and writing part...that is awesome! I totally noticed the cinnamon rolls that you probably got from the Christian bookstore restaraunt...second floor!! Right?
You go girl! I just think ya'll are doing amazing, and I know God is proud of you too! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy ... We always enjoy your "fun" blog sites. Thanks for keeping us all informed ... so glad things are going well. Looking forward to our visit with you and Courtney in December and to hearing some of that "Thai" language with your East Tennessee accent. :) Love you and pray for you often .. Mom Mom

Anonymous said...

i don't think that picture of me is funny... actually, i laughed my butt off also... then got my feelings hurt later.

have you seen steve earle's new look?

Wendy said...

Bless your pea-pickin' 'lil heart! Ha!

Yep..Steve's lookin'like he just crawled outta Cades Cove after winter! Mercy! Steve can rock the Pappy look!

 
Site Meter