Wednesday, December 30, 2009

One Night in Bangkok, 4 Nights in Cha Am

After an uneventful series of LONG flights, I made it!!! Got into BKK last night after midnight. After standing in the immigration line (along with a couple thousand other foreign passengers) I got my backpack off of the luggage thing and went searching for my friend, Goy! I passed through 4 congregations of tour guides and taxi drivers before I saw Goy's sweet little face shine through the crowd. It was the first time I'd seen her in over a year! We hugged, step back to look at each other, laughed, hugged, cried, and the first words spoken were Goy saying "Khop khun Pra Jao!"--Thank you, God!


We had an awesome time catching up and eating a couple meals together. Then, it was time for me to get on a van to ride south for 3 hours to Cha Am where I'll be doing volunteer work. The rest of the team will arrive after midnight tonight. So, I had the privilege of enjoying dinner with some friends that are here working. They hosted me for a "VIP"--pronounced "wee-eye-pee" seafood dinner of squid with chili sauce, tom yum gung, and som tam. Below are some snaps of the evening, including a sign in the restaurant for a house on the beach WITH FUR. I love this place!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey----glad to see and hear you have arrived. i can imagine the reunions. hay--------where's the picture of maybelle when we open the blog? loveya---m0m

Carl Brown said...

It is good to hear that you arrived safely - especially since you travelled through my favorite city, Detroit Michigan . . .

Maybelle said...

Bangkok??? It's a good thing I finally stopped looking for you to pick me up!! Things are still fine here. I've had a couple of pretty good running fits.

About that house on the beach WITH FUR...personally I think the landlord is pet friendly!!! What else could it be?!

Better run...a very busy afternoon ahead.

Maybelle

Ruthie said...

Hey! Glad you made it safely. Sounds like you and your peeps are having a blast. Mom is wanting to know more about the beach house WITH FUR!

Yes...bring back the Maybelle/Christmas tree photo!!!
Love ye!
Mav, Brad the Dad and ZeeBee

Tam said...

Hey, now I am really jealous. I hope that you have a great time with all my "staff" friends. Please give them all a big hug and hello from us.
Dwayne and family

C said...

Ahhhhh! I can tell I am going to have a love-hate relationship with this blog!!! Loving all the photos and details, and hating that I'm not there!!! Boo!!! Enjoy every minute! I know you will.....

johne nomad said...

LOL!!! Did you ask how much FUR-niture comes with the place? :)

OK, the Maybelle pic was great, but I think the Thailand pic is a good temporary replacement while you're in Thailand (no offense, 'Belle! :).

The gibbons here say they're waiting for you to come fly with them :). When will you arrive in CM?

See ya soon,
John E

Anonymous said...

Wendy....enjoy your time! Glad you made it safely and looking forward to the pics!
Lynn

 
Site Meter