Sunday, December 30, 2007

Half Marathon Hey Hey!

Adblock


I did it! Yesterday morning, I woke up around 2:58am and got ready to run my first half marathon! All went well! There were a good number of peeps there running. I met some really cool runners and had a great time! I started too fast and then settled into a good pace by my 3rd mile (a half marathon is about 13.1 miles). I was amazed at how the Lord sustained me the entire way. I blasted my iPod the entire time! Toby Mac, Israel and the New Breed, a John Piper sermon, Hillsong Live, and some other random jams really kept my energy going! There were a few times when I couldn't imagine running much longer, but then, I'd tell myself to keep going!

Overall, it was a great physical and mental challenge. I'm so glad I did it! When I was coming down the home stretch, I could see Court and her grandparents (Mom Mom and Pop Pop) cheering me on and that was awesome! I also saw some other friends there and was so grateful for their support and encouragement!

After I crossed the line, we walked over where they were giving out bananas and watermelon and water and we chilled there for a bit. My friend, Pam, was gonna be coming through soon at the completion of the full marathon! So, we were waiting around to cheer her on! In the meantime, they began the awards ceremony. It was about time for Pam to cross the finish so we started heading back across the street. BUT, I saw that they were doing awards for my age group. We stopped to see who all won trophies. Well, after they called third place, they went on to call fourth place. And what do we hear? Miss Wendy Shelton, USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all started laughing because we nearly walked off. Mom Mom said here Wendy give me your stuff. Court said I've got the camera, GO! So...I walked up on the stage and accepted my 4th place trophy!!! It was quite a day!!!

Then, we went across the street and waited to cheer for Pam and she made it! In fact, she made it 30 minutes quicker than she had projected! I'm so proud of her! Way to go Pam!!! Great job!

Special thanks to everyone who called and left voicemails as well as all the emails! You really made a difference! Thank you! And thanks to Mom Mom and Pop Pop for getting up early on your vacation to cheer me on! And a super thanks to my buddy, Court for waking up at 3am to take me to the race and snap photos of all of it! You're the bomb!

Click on the slideshow to see all of the photos from the day!!!

4 comments:

JasonC said...

Check out that farang representin'!
Congrats.
Hey, good news, I might be coming to town in late February and there are a lot of RVA peeps coming about that time too. I let you know more if it comes together.

Ruthie said...

CONGRATS!! I knew you could do it! And 4th place to boot! Tell the truth...those motivational voicemail messages from me did the trick, right?!?!
Mav

Mattigan said...

DAG! Go Head! Representing tha WEST side! Your first 1 and your hittin' 4th place? Whats next!? So what is forth, like Nickel? WTG! Through God anything is possible! Tell Court I am glad she is still Reppin' tha 80s...CRACK IS WACK! PEACE!

Anonymous said...

Girl, congrats on fourth place!!!! I can't wait to see the trophy :) Karen

 
Site Meter